The business goal was to design and implement the complete solution for online jewelry sales. The existing software (designed in 2000) became obsolete and did not allow fast and seamless adding of the new features. Therefore the main idea of the re-engineering was to build an up-to-date modular architecture keeping in mind the future functionality upgrades.
The major project challenge was to develop an internal format allowing to keep the standardized inventory records for different product types and categories from diamond rings and watches to bespoke jewelry (where the customers can construct their own jewelry from available pieces) and laser engravings of the purchased items.
Back-end administration console provides the complete control over the entire sales process: customer management, inventory management, order management, etc.
The inventory management module is integrated with the existing inventory software to maintain about 10,000 indiviudal product records in 500+ categories.
The service is designed to provide an easy way for the web-site visitors to find the jewelry best matching their needs, then purchase the it online through an integrated credit card payment module. Additional options of check payments and off-line credit card payments was designed for those users who do not wish to use their credit card information online.
Beta version was deployed and tested on the pre-production server and moved to the production server after the customer's approval.
Further development plans include adding new features and integration of additional merhcant accounts.
- Software deployed on the Linux platform running Apache web server and MySQL database engine.
- Front-end and back-end interfaces designed in compliance with the latest HTML and CSS standards.
- Role-based security and user management (customers / resellers / dealers / administrators).
- Integrated on-line credit card payments.
- Reduced the operating costs by 20 % with improved order and customer management through the secure administration console.
- Increased the on-line sales by adding more user-friendly features and options to the jewelry store interface.
- Enabled the software extensibility based on an advanced modular architecture which saves up to 50 % on the future system upgrades and functionality enhancements.